VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Olives With a Jar


Only two more pieces to go for my goal of fifteen in this series of food still life pastels.  I tried to once again push myself into using a warmer palette for this piece.  I naturally reach for cool colors when I start to work and I want to experiment with other color schemes. 

I find the digital images of pastels are a poor substitute for the actual pieces.  Pastels are pure pigment and have rich colors enhanced by the crystal-like nature of the medium.  If you look at soft pastel under a microscope, it looks like tiny little crystal shards and those facets of color tend to reflect light and sparkle.  I have never found a giclee print that looks as lively and vibrant as an original pastel since a print can't capture and reflect light like the true medium.  Pastels are also colorfast since they are pure pigment with a minimal amount of binder added.  Pastels will hold their color for centuries and not fade, dull or get cloudy like oils.

This is a 6" x 8" pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes Paper

No comments: