MY HAPPY PLACE

"My Happy Place"
6.5" x 10"
Watercolor on 200 lb Arches Paper

This is the first piece I have completed since my total knee replacement a month ago.  I decided to concentrate on a watercolor I started a couple of years ago which was a demo for my students.  The reason this subject seemed to beckon me is that it portrays one of my favorite places on the planet.  It is a window seat at the Plaza Bakery right on the corner of the historic and busy Santa Fe Plaza.  My husband and I love to sit in this window and people watch on one of the busiest and most interesting corners in Santa Fe.  You can always count on seeing some bizarre, colorful and one-of-a-kind folks stroll by.  We have even seen close friends walk by.  I think a lot of Santa Fe visitors love to "dress the part" when they are in town so it's fun to watch tourists and locals alike.  We have sat in this location enough to even know some of the local characters who frequent the plaza such as docents from the Georgia O'Keeffe museum and some of the area street musicians and panhandlers. 

My husband is holding his GPS in the painting.  One of our hobbies is to geocache while we travel.  It involves using a GPS to hunt for hidden logs that are scattered all over the world.  Santa Fe is a great place to geocache with hundreds of these little logs hidden in parks and public walkways.  If you want to learn more about how to join us and thousands of others who use million dollar satellites to find Tupperware containers in the woods visit www.geocaching.com

So as I continue to recover (which at this stage involves some very agonizing physical therapy sessions three times a week) I am dreaming of my happy place in Santa Fe.  Fortunately we head that way in a week.  I am taking down my Taos, NM art show on July 10th and we are going on to Santa Fe to enjoy a few days away from the attacks of my aggressive little physical therapist.

If you are in Santa Fe next week - look for me enjoying a cup of coffee and a decadent pastry in the window of the Plaza Bakery.  And if you are there - treat yourself to the unique atmosphere of the "City Different" through one of the best spots in town.

Comments

Adina said…
It does look like a happy place!

Popular Posts