VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

AND I'M OFF!

"Nest"
5" x 5" Watercolor, Ink & Colored Pencil on Old Dictionary Page

I am obsessed with drawing on pages I've torn out of a discarded, library dictionary.  In fact, for a brief time I got the bright idea that I would create 40 dictionary drawings in 40 days as part of Lent - well that ain't happening.  However, I am having a grand time playing on these old pages and I have more ideas than time.

A pastor at our local church gave me a gift card as thanks for painting the scenery for our Christmas nativity and I recently used it to purchase a new brand of colored pencils.  I love trying out different brands and this time I purchased some Derwent Coloursoft pencils - Wow!  I love how these are a strange combination of colored pencil and pastels. They are not as waxy as traditional colored pencils.  I also recently purchased some brown Micron ink pens after seeing a really clever children's book illustrated in watercolor and brown pen.  This little piece included all of those great, new supplies.

Just for fun, I decided to digitally add some text to the piece.  Drawing on dictionary pages isn't anything new and I've discovered a lot of artists do digital prints on vintage papers and sell them.  I thought adding text might be a creative touch to possible prints.  I may even print some out and varnish them on wooden blocks....who knows.  Tell me what you think.




2 comments:

Kelly O'Sullivan said...

Definitely love the text on it. It really adds something special, I think. That one would be adorable in a nursery or kid's room. Once again, amazing!

just_my_luck said...

this is a really interesting idea love your art :)