VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

STARTING PASTEL UNIT IN MY CLASSROOM

Pastel Pencil on 8.5" x 11" Canson Mi-Teintes Paper

I love starting a new unit in my art classes.  My students are always so excited to move on to something new with the belief that a personal masterpiece is on its way.

Today I introduced my second year students to the joys of working with pastels.  I adore pastels.  I love that they involve drawing skills combined with vivid colors and layers of mark making.  Pastels are messy and that's part of the fun.

This year I decided to help my students ease into pastels with a fun exercise.  Long ago I discovered that you can run pastel paper through a computer printer set on a low ink setting and then "color" your image with pastels.  I've used this trick before and my students like starting a challenging new medium on a predrawn page.  This way, they get to play with the new medium without having to worry about drawing out their subject matter (which comes next.)  It takes a few attempts for most people to understand pastel techniques and its also a challenge for beginners to apply color theory.  Students get to practice both in what is a familiar coloring page.

I found a free coloring page of a sun, printed it on light blue Canson paper and turned my students loose to create using soft and hard pastels.  This is my example/demo piece.  I brought my personal pastel supplies so my students could see the variety of brands I like including my set of pastel pencils.


1 comment:

magic smith said...

love your blog, thankyou! i'm finding it so inspiring ive even had a go at the sun picture and a self portrait using pastels and its so much fun! the colours are beautiful. thankyou x