BUILDING BUTTERFLIES




Butterflies are and have been one of my favorite subjects.  I can't seem to keep many in my inventory so I am pushing to have a few new, butterfly drawings ready for the Oklahoma City art show at the end of May. 

I love to play with whatever colors I feel like and I use all kind of resources when I am building new butterfly drawings.  Many years ago I gave my mother this wall hanging of actual butterflies encased in a class sphere. I keep it in my studio.  Whenever I start a new butterfly piece I like to keep it close by to study the intricate parts of the insect.

This drawing started with line work and details drawn in sepia ink on a large, old page that is incredibly thin.  I have almost finished adding color to the variety of wings in this collection.

Comments

Popular Posts