TYPEWRITER

Typewriter
6" x 9" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Dictionary Page

I did a drawing of an old typewriter (the actual typewriter lives in my husband's office) very early in my series of dictionary drawings.  When I first started I was cropping my drawings into square formats but quickly started to draw on the entire, vertical page.  I cringed every time I cut up an old book page.   My first typewriter drawing was in that square format and I've wanted to go back and recreate it on a full page for a long time - finally I did it.

This has got to be one of the most fragile papers I've drawn on.  It's from the same children's dictionary I love most but this page was extremely temperamental.  It wouldn't permit me to use many marks before it fell apart and blending anything was out of the question.  It's going in a frame right away to protect it from further damage.  I treat each page so it will last past it's usually life span so this drawing will be around for a number of years in spite of it's age.  It sure didn't want to tolerate much pressure from my pencils or very many strokes of ink.


Comments

Debbie Nolan said…
This is a wonderful piece. There is such a vintage feel to a page such as this...the old dictionary and the ancient typewriter. Thanks for sharing. I certainly enjoy your mixed media works. Hope you have a great day.

Popular Posts