VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

MAGIC

Magic
12" x 18" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Digitized Parchment

I have used the phrase "Make the Magic Happen" in my classroom since I started teaching 15 + years ago.  I have always felt that creating artwork is magic.  As a child I remember marveling at how a few marks on a flat piece of paper could suddenly BE SOMETHING that didn't exist before.

As I prepare for a series of big art shows across the country, I am building a lot of work that I think will have appeal to potential buyers.  I am repeating popular subjects that patrons have purchased in the past and I am always researching popular trends to guide my choices.  But now and then I do a piece just to please me - this is that type of piece.

I've thought about doing a magic themed piece for a long time.  After I settled on my images and sketched them in I discovered that I had a page full of white objects.  The challenge for me was to create some color impact and jazz up what might otherwise be a pretty bland piece.  It was fun to find ways to give this piece some interesting color schemes.  I also decided to pump up the use of red - what I think of when I think of a magician's cape.

I keep this magic wand on my desk in my high school classroom. I don't know where it came from but it's been on my desk from the very first day.  From time to time I wave it over a student's work and try to conjure up some inspiration or improvement.  It was fun to finally use it on a drawing.

No comments: