VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

PENGUIN

Penguin
12" x 18" Mixed Media Drawing on Antique Parchment

This drawing has been on the easel of my studio for nearly a month waiting on me to get it finished.  With the start of school, special travels and most recently - a case of pneumonia, it has gathered some dust.  I don't like to let a piece languish this long and I sure don't like to keep a customer waiting.

An old friend purchased this commission for his mother at the start of the summer so I feel badly that it's taken me weeks to complete.  I actually love working on pieces like this where I get to take creatures and give them a little personality.  I also enjoy finding hidden colors in blacks and whites which I think gives those drab colors some vitality.

Over the summer, I have working on a variety of pieces in my booth during art festivals.  I start everything out with an ink drawing.  From time to time I have people suggest I stop after the ink drawing and not add any color to the work.  Here's what the penguins looked like after I finished drawing them.  I like the look of the ink drawing, too.  I tell my students all the time that a good painting always starts with a strong drawing.

I am finally done with my antibiotic and about to stop my cough syrup (which is wonderful by the way - better than most cocktails) and I am about to feel like myself again.  It's a good thing, too because my studio has stacks of work which need my attention.

No comments: