VISIT MY ETSY SHOP TO PURCHASE MY WORK

About Me

My photo
Guymon, Oklahoma, United States
I am blessed to live where my grandfather homesteaded, to have three beautiful daughters who are my best friends, to have six delightful grandchildren who live nearby, to be married to my sweetheart of 35 years and to thrill to the special magic of creating my own works of art. I'll never cease to thrill to witnessing new ideas and images come to life from the point of a pencil or splash of a brush. I am blessed.

Monday, November 16, 2015

A GIFT FOR MAYER


"Mayer"
32" x 12" Dimensional Watercolor

I haven't created an original watercolor painting as a baby gift in a long time.  My niece recently had a new baby - another miracle baby - and this is her gift.

Her nursery colors are gray and yellow with little elephants.  I've loved doing cartoon characters since I was a little girl so it's always great fun to do something a little different and silly.  

I painted the background and then made the stars, birds, banner and elephants individually.  I cut all that out and attach it to the background using foam adhesive dots popular with scrapbook artists.  This process really started years ago when I made a mistake on a watercolor painting.  In desperation I built some pieces and glued them over a mistake.  I liked the outcome so much that I've done it ever since even without a mistake to hide.  

I can honestly say - I don't want to ever attempt to paint chevron pattern ever again.  I love patterns but this was not fun to do.  It was also a challenge to create a nice gray in watercolors.  Black is so concentrated that it's difficult to maintain an even gray.

No comments: