OKLAHOMA CITY FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS 2016


I just completed one of my biggest art shows of the year.  This show is in my  home state but still requires a 5 1/2 hour drive from my house. 

The Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts celebrated 50 years and it is one of the best shows I have ever participated in.  The show features 144 artists from around the country.  I have been honored to show there for the past three years.

One of the challenges of doing this terrific show is that it is 6 days long and each day starts in the morning and doesn't end until 9:00 in the evening.  That means being outside regardless of the weather - rain or shine - and being bright and shiny for each and every customer.

The crowds are huge and thousands of people attend each year.  The artists are amazing and the food - oh my the food.  The food vendors for this show are not the typical corn dog and kettle corn found at most art shows.  The food vendors for this show have everything from lobster sliders to strawberries Newport.  People show up just to eat.  Thankfully people also show up to buy art.

The festival is like a mini village that springs up in the middle of downtown Oklahoma City.  They run their own electric lines and festival volunteers take great care of their chosen artists.  The festival is held to fund the Oklahoma City Arts Council which takes a small commission from each sale.  It's worth it.  These people make the show a fabulous experience.

I have been fortunate to have a lot of returning customers.  This is Kim who has bought a number of my pieces and returned again this year to purchase something new.  Kim also generously gave me an old children's dictionary last year which has inspired me to start a whole new alphabet series.  It is always a treat to have her visit.

Comments

Popular Posts